YOURS FREE: 10 crucial steps people miss when organizing digital photos
Most people want to just shoot pictures and ignore these crucial steps for organizing their collection of digital photos on their computers. Then they wonder why they are frustrated when looking for photos and trying to do fun projects with them!
Get 10 Crucial steps NOT to miss, along with videos and media organization tips & tricks delivered directly to your inbox. Just enter your name and email below. It's all free!

How to export your best pictures with Picasa

Categories: E-mail Pictures, Export Pictures, Organize Pictures    Tags:   11 Comments

How often do you post images to Facebook? How about sending them by e-mail to your friends? Or maybe you want to publish pictures on the web. Regardless of your purpose, the ability to select your best pictures and export them in different formats for different purposes is crucial to any digital asset management tool. Picasa provides this functionality as well but has kept things simple which makes the whole process very fast. Combined with an intuitive way of selecting your best pictures, the export facility in Picasa makes it very fast and easy to select and send your best pictures. Read on to learn how to export your pictures with Picasa.

Select and group your best pictures in 2 simple steps with Picasa
Easy steps for emailing your favorite pictures with Picasa
The best way to configure Picasa options and make Picasa work fast and smooth

Select your best pictures

The first step is to select and group your best pictures. With Picasa, you can do this very fast by applying stars to your best pictures and then grouping them into Picasa albums (Read Select and group your best pictures in 2 easy steps with Picasa).

Ask the right questions

Before you start exporting your pictures you need to answer some simple questions. Where do you want to publish your pictures? On Facebook? By e-mail? On your website?

The answers to these question will determine two things: the first is the resolution you need and the second is if you need a watermark on your exported pictures or not.

Most of the times, when publishing pictures online (website, e-mail, etc.) you will not need a resolution larger than 1600 pixels wide. Picasa has figured this out and the export wizard allows you to export the pictures in full resolution or make them much smaller by providing smaller resolutions (480, 800, 1024 and 1600 pixels wide).

For example, when I publish my travel pictures on my travel blog, I always use 800 pixels as my resolution and then I add watermark on them as illustrated below. However, when I publish my family pictures on Fotki to share them with my friends and family, I use 1600 pixels as the resolution. I could do full resolution, but then, when I upload 200 pictures to Fotki at full resolution…well, it will take some time no matter how fast my internet connection is.

If you have answered these questions, then you are ready to export your pictures.

Export my best pictures to a folder

Now I want to export all these pictures to a folder that will contain pictures ready for publishing on the web. The album I have created, “web-London”, has grouped all my best pictures from my trip to London. In Picasa, all I have to do now is to export the entire group to a folder on my hard drive.

I click on the “web-London” album on the left tree in Picasa. Then I select all the pictures with CTRL+A (or the equivalent on the Mac). Now I’m ready to export them. So, I click on the top menu on File/Export Picture to Folder.

Then I choose the name and location of the destination folder (by default Picasa will use the name of the album) then I pick the resolution I want for my pictures and in this case I add a watermark with my website name.

Picasa will do it all for me: it will resize all pictures and will add the watermark and put them all in a folder. Now this is cool!

Exporting pictures in different formats from Picasa is easy. Just choose the destination folder and the resolution and let Picasa do the rest.
How to export pictures in Picasa.

Personal coaching  Independent course  My books

Updated: December 10, 2015  Categories: E-mail Pictures, Export Pictures, Organize Pictures
Tags:    Comments: 11 Comments
Read related articles:
Select and group your best pictures in 2 simple steps with Picasa
Easy steps for emailing your favorite pictures with Picasa
The best way to configure Picasa options and make Picasa work fast and smooth

PRASANYA August 14, 2013 at 10:37 am

Nice! Now I know how to insert pictures in Picasa.

Akash October 8, 2013 at 11:11 am

How can we check that were our pictures has exported,in which website please provide me this information as there are some personal pictures of mine which i don’t like to show to others or send them.

Vlad October 8, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Ahash….I hope I am understanding your question correctly. When you export pictures with Picasa you export to your computer and you choose which folder to export to. You might be referring to synching your folders…in that case your pictures will go to your Google Plus account. To check that you click on the Plus link from your Gmail account. Hope this helps.

Haydee Yordan January 17, 2015 at 4:15 pm

After I have done some editing in Picasa and used the “soften” edit I proceed to export. The exported image does not contain the soften effect… why? How do I export and end up with all the effects including the soften effect in the exported image? Any suggestions?

Vlad January 19, 2015 at 3:57 am

With some effects in Picasa (including softening) you have to press the Apply button and then export and the resulting pictures should have the effect applied. The exported picture should have all the effects you have applied to your photo.

Betty Ann January 9, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Hi, when I click on export a message error comes up saying unable to write all files do to disk error. disk may be full or read-only. What do I do to be able to export pictures again. I used to be able to do it before. Thanks

Vlad January 9, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Betty…not sure what is going on other than really checking to see if you have enough room on the disk you want to export to. If you’re using a mac you cannot export to your iPhoto library since it is locked…you have to export somewhere else.

Tommy February 13, 2016 at 8:43 pm

Here’s what I don’t understand: I take a jpg that’s 300 dpi in a 5MG file. I export it keeping size the same but reducing Image Quality so the file size is below 1MG. dpi remains the same at 300, I’m using Original Size; so how can file size be cut to 20% of what it was?

Vlad February 16, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Tommy…great question! The algorithm used by jag expresses the brightness of a chunk of pixels using a lot less data that the uncompressed photo. Remember that a digital image file only contains numbers representing brightness and color. If you can approximate the values based on nearby values you can essentially remove numbers (data) from your image file. The size has nothing to do with compression, it is the way brightness and color are recorded in the file that changes. With jpeg lots of data is inferred and approximated rather than storing the actual value. Here is a good video: https://youtu.be/f2odrCGjOFY

Lili April 6, 2016 at 9:57 am

Hi Vlad,

Is there a way to export the pictures without losing the original created dates?

I find that if I export then the date corresponds to the export date, which is annoying for people that store and file their pictures according to date… I wish to email smaller versions of the pics but don’t want to send 2010 pictures with a 2016 date on it…

Thanks!

Vlad April 7, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Lili…if you mean the file date the answer is no. Whenever you export a photo it will create a new file and therefore it gets a new date. However, the date inside the EXIF metadata portion of the file will be preserved. However, this date can be seen only if you add a new field in Windows Explorer for example (i.e. Date Picture Taken).