YOURS FREE: 10 crucial steps people miss when organizing digital photos
Most people want to just shoot pictures and ignore these crucial steps for organizing their collection of digital photos on their computers. Then they wonder why they are frustrated when looking for photos and trying to do fun projects with them!
Get 10 Crucial steps NOT to miss, along with videos and media organization tips & tricks delivered directly to your inbox. Just enter your name and email below. It's all free!

Easy steps for emailing your favorite pictures with Picasa

Categories: E-mail Pictures, Export Pictures, Most Popular    Tags:   22 Comments

E-mailing your favorite pictures is still a difficult task even today with so many programs that claim to organize your pictures. The reason it is difficult is pretty simple: in order to be able to send pictures by email you have to reduce their size and add them as attachments to the email. This task is somewhat simple if you only want to send one picture. However, if you want to send multiple pictures it gets very tedious and most people just don’t do it. Others send multiple emails containing their huge image files. In Picasa, however, it is very easy to send emails with your favorite pictures if you learn how to set it up.

Learn how to send pictures by e-mail in 4 easy steps
Understand the problem with E-mailing pictures
The best way to configure Picasa options and make Picasa work fast and smooth

Why emailing your favorite pictures is normally difficult

I still get a lot of emails with favorite pictures from family and friends. The pictures being sent are huge…they are larger than my screen. In addition, even with fast internet connection it takes some time to download them. Why? Because people don’t really know how to make image files smaller. In addition the whole process of sending emails with multiple attachments is pretty cumbersome too.

It should be easy…right? You pick your picture, you change the resolution, you save that new picture and then you write an email and attach the picture as an attachment. Sounds reasonable.

But what happens if you have to send 10 photos? It gets very tedious very fast…so it’s a lot easier to send the pictures full resolution. However, if you don’t reduce your image files sizes, most likely this will pass well over 20Mb and most email programs will not allow this large size to be sent. Most importantly, most people do not need the full resolution picture because they will never print pictures from you. Facebook for example reduces your pictures to about 1024px by 760 px which is very very small, but enough for sharing pictures with friends.

An example on reducing image size

I use a Canon T2i for most of my pictures. It has an 18 megapixels sensor which produces pictures 5184×3456 pixels…that’s huge!. Files saved as JPG at the finest resolution, meaning that they use the least compression, are between 6.5Mb and 9Mb in size. Think about sending 10 of these pictures!

However, when I reduce the same pictures to 900x600px to used them for my travel blog (www.TouristBee.com) the same pictures get reduced to between 140 Kb and 380Kb in size. So I’m reducing my image files about 50 times. So, 10 of these images would be at most 4Mb combined. Not a problem!

I know this example is a little drastic but most of the times you would not have to send pictures larger than 1600 pixels wide which will reduce the file size to less than 1Mb. This is a lot easier to send as attachments.

In addition, the process of putting together an email is very cumbersome in most software packages. It would be very cool to have a program reduce your image sizes and create the email with all the images as attachments. Well, that’s exactly what Picasa does for you!

Picasa, makes the whole process of sending your favorite photos by email very, very simple.

Set up your Picasa options for automated email settings

It might look like there are a few options on the E-mail tab of the Picasa Options but essentially you have to make two choices.

Set your e-mail options on the Picasa Options E-mail tab
Efficient Picasa options for emailing pictures.

Choose your email program

You have essentially two options: Outlook and Gmail. It is not surprising that Picasa doesn’t support Yahoo or Hotmail…why should they since Google makes Picasa?

Set your resolution

Make sure you don’t send pictures with the original size unless you really need to.

You can set the maximum resolution for the pictures you send by moving the slider. You can only use Picasa’s set resolutions. If you want a different resolution you need to export your pictures and set a different resolution when you export.

Select your pictures and click e-mail

In Picasa it’s simple: just select your favorite pictures (hold CTRL and click to select multiple pictures) and click the e-mail button at the bottom of the screen. Picasa will assemble your email according to your settings on the Options screen. It even puts some text in the email so you only have to type your addressee’s e-mail address.

E-mail message with multiple favorite pictures created by Picasa.
Efficient Picasa options for emailing pictures.

I have multiple Gmail accounts and Picasa even allows me to change which account to use. As you can see the email is ready to send…you only need to add email addresses in the “To” field and click the Send button.

Picasa will do everything for you…change the resolution of the pictures to the resolution specified in Options, attach them to the email and write a simple email message for you.

Conclusion about sending emails with Picasa

I have not seen any other programs that makes sending your favorite pictures by email this easy. It definitely shows that Google engineers have been paying attention to every step in the process. Using Picasa to send your pictures by email is really easy. I love it!

Personal coaching  Video course  Basics book  Picasa book  Reference book

Updated: February 3, 2014  Categories: E-mail Pictures, Export Pictures, Most Popular
Tags:    Comments: 22 Comments
Read related articles:
Learn how to send pictures by e-mail in 4 easy steps
Understand the problem with E-mailing pictures
The best way to configure Picasa options and make Picasa work fast and smooth

Lawrenced Haugen March 27, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I used to be able to choose from my list of e mail contacts..hit “a” and all my a’s would show up and I could choose. Now for some reason I cann’t get my list, I have to go to me e mail..copy them and then type it in. ??????? why?

vlad March 27, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Good question! I just tried it and it works as you expect it to work. I have Picasa 3.9…the latest version, maybe you have an older version…not sure. Here are a few things to check:
Make sure you are signed into your Google Account in Picasa on the top right corner of Picasa. However, if you are not signed in you wouldn’t be able to see the email display.
Make sure you click in the To: box. Then when you hit “a” you should see all your a’s…I do.

All this to say that I’m not sure what is going on…in my version of Picasa it is working as expected…I click in the To box then type “a” and all my a’s are showing in a list and I can pick which ones I want.

Vlad April 22, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Problem has been fixed by Google in Picasa 3.9 build 136.20! Make sure you update!!

Oddly enough, I have updated my Picasa to the latest version about a month ago, shortly after the first comment and I started seeing the same problem reported.
When I composed an email I couldn’t simply type part of the recipient name anymore…nothing came up. So I believe Google has introduced a bug in their latest version of Picasa. I was hoping they would fix it fast.

And they did…between March 26 and April 2nd they fixed all the auto-complete issues they introduced. That’s fast.

Now everything is working as advertised!

Allison November 14, 2015 at 4:59 am

when I email my picassa pictures, the comments I have added to my pictures do not show up in the sent email. How do I rectify this?

Vlad November 17, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Allison…not really sure which comments you are referring to. Are they the photo captions you entered in Picasa, or the comments you have written in the body of the email you sent via Picasa?

DeeAnn Schueller December 23, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Frustrated. . When people get the pics I send with Picasa and they go to print them out they are blurry because they end up sending out a small size instead of the original and I have every thing set to large size. One pic is fine but more than that it messes then all up. I usually try to send a lot at a time. Someone now informed me they can’t print them because they are blurry. Looks fine on my screen but not when printed.

Vlad December 23, 2015 at 4:14 pm

DeeAnn…good question. First off, you can send originals with the settings I have in this article. Even compressed with the maximum size will be fine (1600px) for the screen…for normal pictures. I have not had any problems with emailing multiple pictures with Picasa.
The problem might be with the original being blurry or with the camera resolution being set to very small.
The basic rule for printing is that a commercial printer prints at 300 DPI…so a 4×6 photo needs a minimum resolution of 1200×1800 to get a good print. Anything smaller will result in loss of quality.

Alex Bellig March 22, 2016 at 10:47 pm

I love Picasa’s picture emailing feature, the only issue is that you cannot use Hotmail or Yahoo to send pictures, I wish there was a way to add them.

Vlad March 22, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Alex…I like this feature as well but it will only work with Gmail or a local installation of Outlook. Picasa was made by Google so they didn’t care to integrate with Yahoo.

Randall Beaman May 17, 2016 at 3:37 am

When I put text on a photo and then email it, the picture is transferred but the text on the photo does not transfer with the space is blank. What do I do?

Vlad July 3, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Randall…First, I’m not really sure how you add text on the photo…with Picasa or on your cell phone?
My quick answer is that you need to export the photo with the text on it first. This will create a new copy of the photo with the text on it. That’s the photo you want to transfer.

Jeri-Anne June 26, 2016 at 7:04 pm

What versions of Picasa offer the link to send a bunch of pictures (wedding, etc)? My wonderful, easy to use version got updated by an idiot and the version I have now doesn’t have it )-:

Vlad July 3, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Jeri-Anne…You should get the latest version of Picasa which is version 3.9.

barbara struggles July 7, 2016 at 7:35 am

When I try to send by email a notice comes up ” there is no email program associated to perform the requested action > Please install an email program. If one is already installed create an association in the Default control panel” I have no idea what this means. I upgraded to Windows 10 and had other problems ie printing out photos but that has been resolved. this never used to be a problem before

Vlad July 25, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Barbara… I his message means that you do not have a classic email program installed on your computer…something like outlook or thunderbird. If you use webmail like Yahoo! It will not work. If you use gmail instead it works great!

Mike Hastie November 2, 2016 at 4:59 pm

I am very frustrated still in the ability to send a high resolution image via email. I seem to learn when people set down directions like they would if I am getting directions to get somewhere. Step 1. Step 2. Step 3. etc… Turn Left at, turn Right at, etc…

Jane Thimme December 4, 2016 at 3:05 am

Can Picasa emailed photo and message be tracked/saved to retrieve by sender?
The person I sent it to did not receive it…want to find and resend

Vlad December 4, 2016 at 3:13 am

Jane…depending how you have sent it. If you have used your GMail account to send, it should be in your Sent folder. If you have used Outlook on your local computer (instead of the online Outlook), the message should also be in your Sent folder. It’s not Picasa that keeps track…it’s your email program that keeps track. Hope this helps.

Kathy T April 24, 2017 at 6:15 pm

My Question is about sending photos to a newspaper for print publication. I am a writer who occasionally will send a piece to my city newspaper for publication. They always want me to include a photo, but they complain that what I am emailing them is too small. So I’m guessing my yahoo email is compressing the photo? I’m a writer not a techie… Appreciate any help. Thx

Vlad April 24, 2017 at 6:57 pm

Kathy…I do not see any changes made by yahoo mail to my pictures. You can try this: go to the folder that contains the image file. Right-click on the image file and choose properties and look k at the file size…should be over 1.5 Mb. If not it is already small and you have to check your camera. If not, the email shrinks the photo.

Kathy T April 24, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Vlad – I should have mentioned that I am not a Picasa user. I got to your site as I was searching for a program that might solve my problem. My file size is always over 1.5 MB, so I think it may be Yahoo compressing the file. Do you think Picasa would help? Or do I open an Outlook email account too?
Thx

Vlad April 25, 2017 at 12:03 am

Kathy…You can verify if yahoo mail is doing anything to your picture by using another her email provider like outlook and sending the picture as attachment. Check the file size before sending it and then check it when receiving it in the new account. Picasa would not help you.