Geoff Coupe September 30, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Unfortunately, Picasa has a nasty habit of stripping out camera Makernotes from Exif, so it will actively remove some of your precious metadata. See

vlad October 3, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Good to know Geoff…thank you….for those who use Makernote.

Paulo Sismeiro October 3, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Hi there.
After uploading a photo with on-line tool provided by Jeffrey Fiedl I realized that Picasa is not recording face recognition tags in image metadata XMP, instead it is generating a file “.picasa.ini” in each folder where photos are located with all information for face recognition.
Is there any way to change the way Picasa records the face recognition tags directly to the XMP header in the photo as suggested in the article?

vlad October 3, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Paulo,
You have to enable name tags in Picasa. To do that go to Options / Name tags and check the “Store name tags in photo “. This will store name tags from face recognition as I have described in my article.
Also for further reference read my article about doing face recognition with Picasa. Here is the link :
http://www.organizepictures.com/2012/10/face-detection-with-picasa Make sure you read all three pages.

Paulo Sismeiro October 3, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Thank you vlad for your valuable support.
I’ve already checked the “Store name tags in photo”, so it will tag faces names for new photos, right?
What about old photos that has been previously tagged as a separated file (.picasa.ini)? How do I force Picasa to look at those old photos and make then to be tagged in XMP header?

Paulo Sismeiro October 4, 2013 at 10:11 am

Ok. I got it!
I’ve already realized that there is an experimental feature in Picasa (Tools–>Experimental–>Write faces to XMP…) that allow you to rewrite the face recognition tags on those old photos.
That’s a useful feature, however it will take long time to update all photos!
Regards.

Phil November 18, 2014 at 9:12 pm

I’ve just gone through the process of tagging faces in Picasa. I had the “Store name tags in photo” box checked. However, when I read the EXIF (XMP) info, there’s no face tag info! Is it possible that I need to do “Tools–>Experimental–>Write faces to XMP” in order to get that info into the file itself?

Phil November 18, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Never Mind! It’s there. I was somehow not seeing it, even though I looked twice. It’s possible I used a non-updated version of the photo. Sheepish…
Sorry! And thanks for all the info on this page!

Vlad November 22, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Phil…Glad you found it. Face recognition tags are not very straightforward in the standards…at least not yet.

Brad Stone January 2, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Thanks for the post. It got me interested in using Picasa to organize my genealogy photos.

The face tagging is awesome and would really help me organize and share old photos that I have scanned in. Loss-less data formats are preferred for these type of archival photos. The Library of Congress recommends TIFF, JPEG2000, and PNG in that order. They won’t accept lossy JPEG files.

Picasa doesn’t support JPEG2000 at all, so for archival photos, TIFF or PNG are potential options.

After a bit of testing, it appears that while these three types of metadata (keyword, geodata, face) are embedded correctly in a JPEG file, Picasa does not embedded any of these in TIFF or PNG files.

According to Wikipedia, TIFF, PNG and many other file types can support tags like these in XMP, but perhaps the standards are less defined.

Picasa will keep keyword, geodata, and face information in its own database, so as long as you only use Picasa with your TIFF or PNG files, you are fine. However, many people don’t like being locked into one program.

I thought it was worth mentioning in case someone needs to use a loss-less data format with Picasa and wants metadata added to the image file.