mike February 11, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Are there any programs that will let you easily add cutom metadata to image?

I’m looking for a program that you open, select an image or images. Type in your custom data, and save it.
Thanks for any reply.
Mike

vlad February 17, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Mike…thanx for your comment. I’m not really sure what you mean by custom metadata. If you mean entering keywords then there are quite a few free programs that would help you to do that. A couple of my favorite free programs are IfranView, XnView and GeoSetter. They would allow you to edit the IPTC metadata that contains keywords.

Hope this helps.

mike February 18, 2009 at 1:51 am

Thanks, Vlad. Yah I wanted to add some data to images such as copyright information. Sounds like InfranView can help me with that.

Thanks!!

vlad February 18, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Mike…yes InfranView will work. Look for the Copyright field in the IPTC fields. This is the field intended for this use.
Check this link out: EXIF Fields.

Glad to hear you found my site helpful.

Brooke June 10, 2010 at 8:46 am

I mostly have .jpeg images in my personal collection but also have a fair amount of photoshop files & MS Office files. I am looking for user friendly D.A.M. software that will save the IPTC/XMP data to the file without subjecting it to another round of .jpeg compression. I would also like to have a captioning/description field and batching capabilities. What software options are there given the above criteria? I would prefer the software to recognize both IPTC & XMP if possible.

vlad June 14, 2010 at 5:06 am

Brooke…there are a few options at least. I’m not sure exactly what software doesn’t perform the compression when adding metadata. You can try XnView which is free and has excellent metadata compatibility (both IPTC and XMP).

Another option would be PIE made by PicMeta which is a German program that is very lightweight and has excellent support for IPTC and XMP, but it doesn’t have much else…it’s a fast viewer with great metadata support.
PicMeta is not free, but it’s inexpensive and it will also do batch processing for image metadata…their site is http://www.picmeta.com and look for the PIE product.

Ilaria September 5, 2015 at 10:05 am

I missed this conversation earlier. One of the practical problems with XMP the last I looked is that it it tends to treat all properties as strings. But a whole lot of useful metadata is about objects; an author is not a string Jane Doe but a person that has the name Jane Doe and so forth. This has practical consequences for users and applications. But this all depends on what you need. I raised the issue in an earlier comment in part because I thought Krita has some connection to KOffice. I would think, then, that you might want to look into a common metadata approach and code, API, etc. In that case, XMP would yield problems.I could be wrong in that assumption, though. If the scope of this will only ever be images in Krita, then it might be fine to use XMP.

Vlad September 5, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Ilaria…that’s correct in terms of metadata attributes as being strings. This is the standard that exists. Both XMP and IPTC make all the metadata flat meaning that there is no relationship between keywords in particular. Adobe is trying to insert parent child relationship between the tags saved with Lightroom bit that is not in the XMP or IPTC standards. This is where your folders come in handy because visually you can have relationships between events and categories.